SCE News

Ambassador Highlight of the Week: Terry Bondy

Name: Terry Bondy
Major: Civil Engineering
Year: Senior
Clubs: SCE Student Council, Tau Beta Pi
Favorite class: CE 321: Structural Analysis
Favorite place to study: Miller Nichols Library on the 4th floor
Why you chose UMKC: Lots of scholarships are available for students

What In the World is Civil Engineering?

When I tell people I’m majoring in civil engineering, the most common response is “Oh, so you are going to, like, build stuff?” Most people don’t have a clue what civil engineers do. I certainly didn’t have a very good idea either when I started this program a few years ago. Because it is a very broad engineering degree, it can be hard to explain sometimes. There are five industries that people typically work in as civil engineers: construction, structural, geotechnical, hydrological, and traffic engineering.

During my freshman year, I wanted to work as a hydrological engineer. I thought I would enjoy working with streams, rivers, and keeping the environment clean from pollution. However, I found myself enjoying my structural classes more. Statics, Structural Analysis, Steel Design, and Reinforced Concrete all seemed more interesting to me.

The first thing I like about structural engineering is how many different materials are available. I can use steel, wood, concrete, and masonry to build structures. Each has unique properties that make it the better or worse material to use in certain situations. Another thing I look forward to as a structural engineer is working with different industries. I can build hospitals, schools, office buildings, or power plants. Few professions offer the opportunity to work with such a variety of clients. Third, I want to be a structural engineer because it gives me the opportunity to help other people and communities in a meaningful, lasting way. With a Structural Engineer license, I can build structures for people all around the world.

Learn more about civil engineering at UMKC.