At UMKC’s School of Computing and Engineering, students are challenged to meld innovative thinking with technical principles.
Our affordable school is known for its small class sizes and personal attention. Students work with faculty who are recognized nationally and internationally for their contributions to the field through research, presentations and publications. Graduates benefit from UMKC’s location in Kansas City, one of the largest engineering and computing communities in the United States.
Undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs offer a comprehensive education combining theory and fundamental practice. Graduates leave SCE fully prepared for 21st-century careers and ready to change the world.
SCE includes more than 1,700 students. Faculty, staff, classrooms, laboratories and student workspaces are housed in Flarsheim Hall, which was constructed in 1999 on the main UMKC campus.
Arrange a visit at umkc.edu/welcome or by phone, 1-800-775-8652 or 816-235-8652.Points of Pride
- Research funding tripled from 2002 to 2012 to $10 million
- Our bachelor of science degree in computer science and bachelor’s degree in information technology are accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. The bachelor of science degrees in civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- Seventy-five percent of SCE students complete internships
- More than 61 percent of SCE alumni choose to live and work in the Kansas City area after graduation. Many return as mentors, speakers and volunteers.
Kevin Truman, Ph.D., F.ASCE joined UMKC as dean in August 2008.
- Past position: Chair and Greensfelder Professor of Mechanical, Aerospace and Structural Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis
- Roots: Dean Truman grew up on a farm in rural Illinois and is a first-generation college student.
- Research: Earthquake-resistant design of building systems and structural design and construction of massive concrete systems
- Interests and hobbies: National Hockey League off-ice official, avid dog trainer and international traveler