Electrical and Computer Engineering is a Ph.D. Discipline with the following five Concentration Areas:
- Computer, VLSI and Embedded Systems Design
- Electromagnetics, Radio Frequency (RF) Circuits, and Signal Processing
- Computer Vision, Multimedia and Machine Learning
- Power Electronics and Renewable Energy
Our research projects are funded by National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, Department of Commerce, Department of Energy and Industrial partners.ECE PhD Program InformationDoctoral faculty with current areas of research
ECE Doctoral Faculty Members and Their Research Areas:
- Deb Chatterjee, Associate Professor (Email: ChatD@umkc.edu) Research Areas: Computational electromagnetics. Ultra-wide-band arrays for application to radar and biomedical imaging. RF propagation path loss modeling for wireless communications. Signal integrity, EMI/EMC analysis of high-speed interconnects. Integration of sensor and platform — antenna placement analysis. Applications of graphene and carbon nanotube antennas.
- Ghulam Chaudhry, Department Chair and Professor (Email: ChaudhryG@umkc.edu) Research Areas: Computer arithmetic. Embedded systems design. HDL-Based Design. FPGA. VLSI design and Quantum-dot cellular.
- Masud Chowdhury, Associate Professor and ECE PhD Discipline Coordinator (Email: email@example.com), Research Areas: High-performance issues of VLSI circuits. Emerging post-silicon device and interconnect technologies for the next generation integrated circuits. Optically reconfigurable VLSI circuits. Carbon Nanotube (CNT), graphene and 2D Nanomaterial based logic, memory, sensor, optoelectronic, and energy generation and storage devices.
- Reza Derakhshani, Associate Professor (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) Research Areas: Computational intelligence with applications in biometrics and biomedical signal and image processing, computational imaging, biometric security and liveness detection, deep learning and artificial neural networks.
- Ahmed Hassan, Assistant Professor (Email: email@example.com) Research Areas: Dr. Ahmed M. Hassan leads the Multidisciplinary and Multiscale Electromagnetics Lab (MMEL). His current research interests include Nano-electromagnetics, Electromagnetics in Biology and Medicine, Nondestructive Evaluation, Experimental Microwave and Terahertz imaging
- Faisal Khan, Associate Professor (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) Research Areas: Power electronics for automotive, renewable sources and implantable circuits, State of health estimation of power converters, aging and fault detection using SSTDR.
- Zhu Li, Ph.D, Associate Professor (Email: email@example.com) Research Areas: Image/Video Analytics, Object and Content Identification, Video Coding and Streaming, Content Delivery Networks.
- Mostafizur Rahman, Assistant Professor (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) Research Areas: Beyond CMOS computing with emerging nanoscale devices, and novel integration techniques. Nanoscale 3-D integrated circuits. Neuromorphic computing to mimic mammalian brain’s capabilities. Proof-of-concept nanoscale experimental prototyping. Manufacturing and thermal aware circuit design.
Doctoral Faculty Members with Joint Affiliation:
- ZhiQiang Chen, Assistant Professor (Email: email@example.com) (Primary: Civil Engineering, Secondary: ECE): Dr. Chen occasionally supervises ECE Ph.D. students on projects that cross boundary of his primary interests and ECE areas. Research Areas: Remote sensing including hyperspectral and multi-view imaging, image-based understanding, and their applications in emergency response, civil infrastructure, and agricultural engineering.
ECE Graduate Faculty Members* and Their Research Areas:
- Mahbube Siddiki, Instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org), Research Areas: Electronic materials, Nanotechnology for energy applications, Solar cell, Photovoltaic system, Renewable Energy and power system, Modelling and simulation.
- Preetham Goli, Assistant Teaching Professor (email@example.com), Research Areas: Power Electronics, Microgrid, Smart Grid, Distribution System Analysis, Plug-in Electric Vehicles, Energy Management.
* Graduate Faculty members cannot be the supervisor of a PhD student, but they serve in PhD committees.
The above list of research topics is not comprehensive. Please visit faculty members’ websites for details.
ECE PhD Discipline Coordinator: Dr. Masud Chowdhury (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Student Services Coordinator and Student Adviser: Coretta Carter Muhammad (email@example.com)
ECE Doctoral Faculty Members
- Deb Chatterjee, Ph.D. Associate Professor (ChatD@umkc.edu)
- Ghulam Chaudhry, Ph.D. CSEE Department Chair and Professor (ChaudhryG@umkc.edu)
- Masud Chowdhury, Ph.D. Associate Professor and ECE PhD Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reza Derakhshani, Ph.D. Associate Professor (email@example.com)
- Ahmed Hassan, Ph.D. Assistant Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Faisal Khan, Ph.D. Associate Professor (email@example.com)
- Zhu Li, Ph.D. Associate Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mostafizur Rahman , Ph.D. Assistant Professor (email@example.com)