SCE News

Alumni Q+A: Kiran Chelluri

Kiran Chelluri
President, Chelsoft Solutions Co.
Class of 2001
Current City: Olathe, KS  Hometown: Hyderabad, India

What initially attracted you to UMKC?
At the time of my application, I already had family calling Kansas City home. However, it was the smaller campus that ultimately attracted me to UMKC. I enjoyed the balance of a big city with a smaller campus community.

Tell us about an average day at your job:
As the President of Chelsoft Solutions Co., a leading information technology consulting firm headquartered here in Kansas City, I wear many hats on most days. I deal with leadership issues and strategic visioning, marketing and sales, client and vendor management, and organizational growth.

How did UMKC prepare you for your career?
My Masters of Science in Computer Science set up the foundation for my career. UMKC has a curriculum that matches with what the industry wants to see in graduates. I launched my career working for the Sprint Corporation. Their headquarters in the Kansas City metropolitan area allows for a lot of hiring opportunities for graduates. However, as the recession hit, Sprint Co. went through a period of layoffs that included me. This was the opportunity that really helped my career take off. I took it as my chance to start my own business.

What drew you to Computer Science?  
Computer Science has so much that is still unexplored and yet to be invented.  The field is always evolving and really encompasses all that is our future.  I like to be associated with cutting edge technologies. It gives me great pride to know that my work is part of building the innovations that will define the next ten, twenty, thirty, etc. years.

How do you keep up with the rapidly changing field of technology?  
I read lots of magazines, subscribe to newsletters, and associate with technology groups. To stay up to date with Kansas City and general business news I follow Inc. Magazine, Business Insider, Success Magazine, Fortune, and Ingrams.

What advice do you have for students entering the field?
Be passionate about what you are learning. Technology is still in infancy. Question the status quo and try to be creative and do new things. There are so many problems that can be solved.  Find your niche and most importantly, take action.