The University of Kansas City was charted in 1929 and began offering a degree in General Engineering, with emphasis areas in civil, mechanical, and electrical, as early as 1956 through the College of Arts and Sciences. When the University of Kansas City joined the University of Missouri System in 1964, the General Engineering degree was transferred and replaced by the UMKC Graduate Engineering Program which offered continuing education to the regions rich engineering community.
Due to the level of interest in this program, in 1975, leadership from UMKC and MU (University of Missouri – Columbia) signed an agreement to launch the MU/UMKC Coordinated Undergraduate Engineering Program (CUEP). The CUEP offered the bachelors degrees in civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering. In 1987, the CUEP and the graduate program in engineering at UMKC were merged to form the Coordinated Engineering Program (CEP). In 1980, these programs moved to the Truman Campus in Independence, Missouri and in 1994, the programs were moved to the Volker Campus, where they are currently housed.
A degree program in Computer Science had also been previously managed through the College of Arts and Sciences and in 1984, the Computer Science and Telecommunications Program (CSTP) was established which offered the first bachelors, masters and Ph.D. programs for the University in this field. In 1999, the department added the Bachelor of Information Technology program to respond to community demand.
Finally, in 2001, these programs merged to become the School of Computing and Engineering as we know it today.