SCE offers specialized engineering and computing organizations that give students a peek at career possibilities. Organizations offer activities, friendships, competitions and personal growth. Student societies put classroom theory into motion with hands-on action.
Many organizations collaborate with local professionals, giving students a chance to network during business tours, collaborative projects, guest speeches and annual conventions. For example, the UMKC chapter of Engineers Without Borders has teamed up with the professional Kansas City chapter to improve drinking water in the Dominican Republic. The Society of Women Engineers actively recruits women to join the engineering field and – once there – to move into the executive suites. And the National Society of Black Engineers promotes diversity at UMKC and visits local high schools to tout careers that will help the next generation.
SCE also looks to organizations for input on curriculum review, minority recruitment, charitable work, community outreach and the annual Engineers Week festivities.
Start finding your voice by taking a leadership role with a student organization.
Find Your Organization
- American Society of Civil Engineers – UMKC Chapter (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- National Soc./Missouri Soc. of Prof. Eng. (NSPE/MSPE)
- School of Computing and Engineering Student Council
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
If you plan on fundraising to supplement your SAFC support, please contact Kaity Woody.